Thursday 27 December 2012

Cake-A-Month - December - Post 1


So for the first month I decided to make a Christmas themed cake - of course! - and I really wanted to learn how to work with fondant, specifically how to cover a cake in fondant. I made my own marshmallow fondant for my sons 1st birthday cake and used it to sculpt a bunch of bugs and leaves to decorate a buttercream frosted cake. I didn't feel confident enough at that point to try covering the cake in fondant (afterall, it was the first cake from scratch I had ever made!), and it turned out really well and received a lot of compliments.
So for my Christmas cake I decided to make a 4 layer chocolate cake with cherry frosting and decorated with snowflakes.

The techniques I wanted to practice with this cake were:
Making a layered cake.
Making my own buttercream frosting (in the past I just used the canned Betty Crocker icing lol!)
Covering a cake in fondant
Some basic piping

After a bit of research I also decided to cover the cake in chocolate ganache instead of more buttercream since it would supposedly give the cake sharper edges and smoother sides once covered in fondant. I used my own trusty chocolate cake recipe that I've been making for years now (tastes sooo good, everyone loves it and asks for the recipe, it's extremely easy to make and uses only staples I always have on hand AND - you'd never guess it BUT - it's egg-free and dairy-free!!! I'll post the recipe later lol), used Sweetopia's royal icing recipe and made a basic ganache.



I'll go through the process of making this cake over the next few posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment