Tuesday 4 September 2012

Kiddy Time/Mummy Moments: Day 2

We didn't get a lot of time to do activities together today since DH's grandparents dropped by for a visit. Before they showed up A spent about 5 minutes drawing in the morning, then he went and got out the Scrabble game. A really enjoys playing with our old Scrabble game, he goes through all the tiles and picks out all the A's and lines them up on the tile holder, then he goes through and finds all the O's. Lord forbid you suggest he find any other letters though, A & O are his favorites and the only ones he's happy to learn lol!

We then baked a cake together, I measured out all the ingredients and let him put them in the bowl. He then half-way stirred the batter before I had to take over. After that he quickly ran off to watch some Lego videos on the computer.

When A's great-grandparents arrived they sat and played with A and his Lego for awhile before he went down for his nap.
I didn't end up doing any activities with him this afternoon either, once A woke from his nap, his great-grandparents took him and Z to the playground while I had a nap. I didn't end up waking till nearly 5pm, so it was too late by then.

I'm actually feeling a little dispirited at this point. After going back through the list of activities I'd hoped to do with A I'm realising that he's not going to be interested in most of them. Either they're too simplified for him, too complex, or they're simply not interesting to him. I've had another look online tonight to find some more things for tomorrow but everything I've found that I think he'd actually enjoy doing either requires me to buy more craft supplies (I already spent $40 two days ago on craft supplies from the dollar store!), or they're too messy/destructive to do at my in-laws house (they're very very precious about the house since it's all brand new. Most used phrase in this house is probably "Only on the mat!" There's only one place in the whole house where he's allowed to play and its on a carpet. Sigh.).
I have a couple more things for tomorrow, I'm really really hoping that tomorrow goes well because I already feel like throwing in the towel and saying "I'm obviously just a crappy mum, I'm not even gonna bother trying anymore!"

I'm also thinking about enrolling A in one of the kinder gym programs nearby, but unfortunately since we're going overseas for the month of October I probably can't enrol him till the next term starts next year. In the meantime hopefully I can get him into local swimming lessons as something to do with him and help him burn off some energy.

Anyway, Z is currently crying for my attention and it's time to go to bed, so I'm going to bid adieu to Day 2. Fingers crossed for Day 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment